Welcome to our Meet ShareProgress series! Once a week, we’ll be posting a quick profile on a member of the ShareProgress staff. We’re starting with Andy Zack, our Data Scientist and leading pun creator.
- Where do you live? What do you love about it? Ann Arbor, MI. The thing I love most about Ann Arbor is the truffle fries and Jolly Pumpkin. Also that people wear shorts and t-shirts when it “warms” up to 35 degrees.
- What do you do at SP? I’m a data scientist, which is like being a regular scientist except that people give me weird looks when I wear a lab coat at work.
- What work were you doing before this that prepared you for your role here? I worked as an organizer on a couple different political campaigns, interned at the White House, and was an analyst at a political polling firm called EMC Research.
- What’s your favorite part of working at SP? The coworkers! I also like meeting and working with people from all different progressive organizations, and feeling that my work is helping them make a positive difference.
- What’s one piece of advice you would give about the work you do? My advice to anyone trying to learn anything to do with statistics, data science, programming, etc. is to take advantage of all the free online resources. You can get pretty far with just the knowledge and skills that you can pick up on your own through free online courses, tutorials and forums. Some of my favorite resources are:
- What’s your favorite thing on the internet right now? My life plan is to build one of these: http://tinyhouseblog.com/
That all for this week! Have a favorite online course of your own to share, or a story about the time you tried to build a tiny house? Let us know in the comments! Then check back next week for six quick questions with Jim Pugh, our founder.